Monday, February 7, 2011

“Nature never said to me: Do not be poor; still less did she say: Be rich; her cry to me was always: Be independent.” - Sébastien-Roch Nicolas De Chamfort

Last night I got everything ready for today so that I could be prepared in the morning. I made my sandwich and wrapped it up and put it back in the fridge, I did my laundry, and I showered and let my hair dry over night. Although it should come as no surprise to me, I woke up this morning with hair that looked like it was trying to run away from my head. After I realized there was no saving it, I had to give in and re-shower which set me back time-wise. While I was waiting on it to dry a little, I made pancakes and bacon (Which turned out delicious), and finished the rest of my morning routine. I finally looked at a clock and realized it was time to leave, so in a hurry I rushed out the door and about four flights of stairs down realized I'd forgotten my lunch. Worried that I would be late if I ran back upstairs to get it, I just kept on walking. So that was my attempt at being independent... I traded an awesome breakfast and nice hair for lunch... I don't think I'll be doing that again.
When I got to school I was filled with a burst of excitement because I realized that a new week meant new students in our class! So we have a girl from China named Ge (pronounced Guh), a girl from Taiwan named Lesley, an older woman from Georgia named Susan, and a guy from Italy named Talos. Talos was obviously the most interesting new student... He looks exactly like an actor from a TV show I watch:
He does some sort of photography. Here's his bio: Talos's Bio Too bad he's 35.......... C'est la vie, non? Anyway, come lunch time my stomach was participating in the French lesson. I had a five euro bill but I wasn't sure if the vending machine would take that so I went to ask Laura if she had change for it. Over hearing me, Alice (the Neiman Marcus lady) told me that she would just give me money. I told her that I would be fine and she didn't have to, and she said "Oh please! I feel like you're one of my babies now!" :P So I was able to eat! 

School finished up, and I began my metro ride home, walked up the five flights of stairs, and into my apartment. Realizing I hadn't had time to make my bed or clean up my dishes this morning, I got straight on that. I actually had fun washing the dishes but note to self: roll up my sleeves next time. When I finished my laundry, dishes, and made my bed I laid down to listen to some music and decide what to cook for dinner. That's when I heard some yelling out on the street below my window. I peaked my head out and saw three cars, and a man walking in front of them on the narrow street. The drivers all had their heads out yelling at the man walking (we're going to call him Steve). So the driver of the first car (we'll call him John) and the passenger (we'll call him Greg) are yelling the loudest at Steve and honking at him to get out of the way. Out of spite, Steve keeps walking in front of them, blocking them from driving around him. Finally John stops the car, Greg gets out and starts yelling and kicks a trash can over, and starts to run after Steve. As you may have guessed, Steve picks up running pace at this point, and so does Greg. It wasn't long before Greg caught up with Steve due to Steve's grocery cart. You can guess the rest of this story.... I was just sitting up on my balcony the whole time with a big grin on my face. I felt like I was watching an action movie or something.
A big thanks to Steve and Greg for making my night, whoever you may be.
So I think I'll go cook some dinner now, and come back and tell you what I made, perhaps with a picture!
Alright, I'm back! I decided on Cordon Bleu and roasted potatoes. I was about to make a salad and then remembered that I either forgot to ask mom how to make salad dressing, or was zoning out while she was telling me how...
Anyway, here is the finished product!

Bon Appetit!!!
So, here's your daily French lesson!
"Vous êtes à Paris depuis combien de temps?"- (Vooz ay ah Pahree dehpwee com-bee-in duh tom) - How long have you been in Paris? 
"Je suis à Paris depuis vingt sept Janvier." - (Juh swee ah Pahree dehpwee vaughn set Jahn-vee-ay) - I have been in Paris since January 27th.
"Vous êtes à Paris pour combien de temps?" - (Vooz ay ah Pahree pour com-bee-in duh tom) - How long are you staying in Paris?
"Je suis à Paris pour trois ans." - (Juh swee ah Pahree pour twa ahn) - I am in Paris for three years.
"Je rêve de voyage en Egypte est en Espagne." - (Juh rev duh voy-ah-juh on Eh-jipt ay on Eh-spaughn-yuh) - I dream of travelling to Egypt and Spain.
Virgule- (Veer-gyoo-luh) - Comma ","
Point- (Pwan) - Period "."
Point Virgule - (Pwan Veergyooluh) - Semicolon ";"
Deux Point- (Dooh Pwan) - Colon ":"
Point d'interrogation- (Pwan din-ter-row-got-see-oh-n) Question mark "?"
Point d'exclamation- (Pwan dex-claugh-maught-see-oh-n) Exclamation mark "!"
Lettre minuscule - (Leh-truh mee-nee-sk-oo-l) Lower case letter
Lettre majuscule- (Leh-truh mah-joo-sk-oo-l) Upper case letter
Je ne suis pas là! - (Jin swee pah lah) I'm not here!

That's all for today!
Au revoir!
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the laughs and French lessons! I'm especially fond of your phonetic assistance! Though I must say I'm actually doing quite well with my pronunciations before I read the phonetic version! Next time please give your live entertainment French names sil vous plait, n'est pas? Etienne, Grégoire et Jon (http://french.about.com/od/culture/a/frenchnames_2.htm for future reference)!

    ReplyDelete